Monday, July 5, 2021

Worthy

 Do you remembered when

I almost died

Curled and crying

Up against you 

That morning in 

the basement

At the old-souled age

Of almost five


I screamed and I cried

And you held me

As if I’d died

Watched me with 

Those terrified eyes

As my father carried

Me away


I remembered

How to be brave

Because you

Had known how

To be kind

As I laid in that ward

Of children trying

To survive


I came back broken

And you came beside

And step by step

Taught me how to walk

And how to run

And kept me safe

While we played

Like the sickness 

Had never come


Time doesn’t always 

Heal but id does

Always change

And we grew up

After I moved away

But I was driven

To live up to

All you were


I burned my dresses

And brushed out

My curls

I became the knight

I’d imagined you were

This tiny little fae

Barely left real

Fighting the world

And the cruelty 

I found there


A decade or three later

And a few lifetimes, too

Just another day

Of fighting the death

That kept revisiting

My bold fragile life

And there you were

With those eyes that still

Saw inside my tiny soul


Walking through the rain

Through those expressions

From so many strangers

That made us laugh and ask

And act like silly kids

All over again

As if we were almost

Who we had been

As if innocence

Still held magic


The jagged bits of

Broken puzzle pieces

Of heartbreaks undergone

For loyalty and love

The torn little scraps

Remnants of fate’s weave

Where an innocent soul

Used to stretch from me

To you

All somehow made sense

And formed a masterpiece


Never yours, never mine

Always in my thoughts

As I stumbled around

Trying to wear the armor

I always saw shining

In your smile

A warrior to fight beside

Instead of  a weakness

You had to hide


No comments:

Post a Comment