Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Dear Old Soul

Dear Old Soul
who was just growing into their youth
Forgive me, forgive us
As you face a war not your own

There are no rules, though many laws,
No glory, no honor,
just dashed promises of tomorrows
And loud shadowy exits

I would have painted you a home
Warm and cheery like Christmas
With summer fun and autumn feasts
And all the hopes of spring

But there is ice only ice creeping in
And angry storm fronts
The heat burns
And hope has shriveled to a shadow

You face this, as young and old
With bold strength
Quietly seething for justice
Of a youth and a future dashed

All those things I tried to keep
To hold so close they wouldn’t touch you
That I hid behind closed doors
That were too loud not to hear

All those things you face and more
In living memory and fading dreams
My Old Soul, my Guardian King,
My brave, leading  dawn

It reads my heart to see you rise
On a field of bloodied hearts
Of yours and mine, and his and theirs
No one is left untouched

I bear the blame for holding it all
For you and him and all our scars
I tried to be better, to never give up
But I trapped us all when I should have fled

Now here we are, us all and you,
My wise old warrior of infinity blessed
There are universes in your eyes
And red threads within your chest

Face judgment with innocence
Show guilt’s dark disgrace
Speak truth and life and memory

To free you from this past

No comments:

Post a Comment